ADD FUEL is the world wide work of Diogo Machado, illustrator and street artist.
Add Fuel is Portuguese visual artist Diogo Machado (b. 1980).
With a degree in Graphic Design from Lisbon's IADE – Institute of Visual Arts, Design and Marketing, he spent a few years working in design studios in Portugal, followed by an eight-month stint in Munich, Germany. Since 2007, he has been focusing exclusively on his artistic work.
Starting out under the full name Add Fuel to the Fire, he first created a dark yet exuberant visual universe populated by a cast of slimy, eccentric and joyful creatures, influenced by a variety of interests ranging from video games to comics, animation, sci-fi, designer toys, and urban visual culture.
In 2008, fascinated with the aesthetic possibilities of symmetrical patterning and tessellations, he shortened his moniker to Add Fuel and began redirecting his focus towards working with and reinterpreting the language of traditional tile design, and that of the Portuguese tin-glazed ceramic azulejo in particular. Effortlessly blending these two seemingly-irreconcilable visual idioms, his current practice seeks to combine traditional decorative elements with contemporary visual referents into new forms that reveal an impressive complexity and a masterful attention to detail. If, on the face of it, his work in small and medium sized tile panels, large-scale stencil and freehand painted murals, and print editions might seem simply a pastiche of classic formalism, a closer inspection rewards the viewer with a chaotic world of unequivocally original motifs and characters brimming with deep emotions.
Creating balance and harmony from symmetrical repetitions, a build-up of layers and techniques of visual illusion such as trompe-l'œil, his multi-layered patterned compositions produce a poetic rhythm that plays with the viewer's perception and the (multiple) possibilities of interpretation.
Exploring a wide range of both manual and digital techniques in the fields of drawing, painting, ceramics, and printing, his practice expresses a sophisticated dialogue between the old and the new, between heritage and modernity.
Besides the numerous public art interventions he has been creating in various countries, he has also been showcasing his work in solo and group exhibitions in reputed galleries and museums.
Diogo Machado lives and works in Cascais, Portugal.
Exhibitions and events
- 2019 Paint Red Save Lives, Lyon, France
- 2019 Klaipeda Public Art Trienal, Klaipeda, Lithuania
- 2019 Beyond Walls, Lynn, USA
- 2019 Writers Block, Leeuwarden, Netherlands
- 2019 Civita Street Fest, Civita, Italy
- 2019 Maya Angelou Mural Festival, Los Angeles, USA
- 2019 Popeye 90th Anniversary Exhibition, Beijing, China
- 2018 Juxtapoz Clubhouse, Miami, USA
- 2018 Basel House Mural Festival, Miami, USA
- 2018 Crush Walls, Denver’s Urban Art Festival, Denver, USA
- 2018 Alter Ego, Annual Arts Exhibition between China and Portuguese-speaking Countries, Macau, China
- 2018 Tanto Mar. Fluxos Transatlânticos do Design, MUDE Museum, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2017 Revolutions Per Minute, Saatchi Gallery, London, United Kingdom
- 2017 Hand Luggage Only, Nuart Gallery, Stavanger, Norway
- 2017 Nuart Aberdeen Festival, Aberdeen, United Kingdom
- 2017 A Better View, ABV Gallery, Atlanta, USA
- 2016 Post Street Art, Tou Scene, Stavanger, Norway
- 2016 Nuart Festival, Stavanger, Norway
- 2016 Sacramento Mural Fest, Sacramento, USA
- 2016 Festival Muraliza, Cascais, Portugal
- 2016 Muros Tabacalera, Madrid, Spain
- 2016 Festival Muro, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2016 PUBLIC’16, Perth, Australia
- 2016 352walls, Gainesville, USA
- 2015 Rough Cast, Colab Gallery, Weil am Rhein, Germany
- 2015 Forgotten Project, Rome, Italy
- 2015 Festival Muraliza, Cascais, Portugal
- 2015 Urban Now, Metamorfose Gallery, Porto, Portugal
- 2014 SOMA, Underdogs Gallery, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2014 Djerbahood, Djerba, Tunisia
- 2014 Mar Motto, Montana Gallery Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2013 International Colors, Galerie SOON, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2014 WOOL on residence, Covilhã, Portugal
- 2014 Festival Muraliza, Cascais, Portugal
- 2013 ARTURb Residency, LAC, Lagos, Portugal
- 2013 Fusing Festival, Figueira da Foz, Portugal
- 2013 Le M.U.R., Mulhouse, France
- 2013 Tour Paris 13, Paris, France
- 2012 Urban Art LX, Influx Contemporary Art, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2011 LA Artwalk, The Medallion, Los Angeles, USA
- 2011 Push Click, Montana Gallery Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2010 Burnt, Together Gallery, Portland, USA
- 2010 Sleight of Hand, Recoat Gallery, Glasgow, United Kingdom
- 2007 Red Bull Street Gallery, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2006 MadTurnip’s Madgic Trexi Custom Toy Design, Paris, France
- 2019 Deuxième Désintégration, Galerie Itinerrance, Paris, France
- 2018 XVII-XXI, Station 16 Gallery, Montreal, Canada
- 2017 Something old, something new, something borrowed, Underdogs Gallery, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2014 Concentricum, Mercearia de Arte, Coimbra, Portugal
- 2012 Spaces Within, Pure Evil Gallery, London, United Kingdom
- 2011 Planet Fire, Montana Gallery Lisboa, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2010 Back to School 2022, Restart, Lisbon, Portugal
- 2010 Sweet Cuts, Lisbon, Portugal